Austin was born in Birmingham, Alabama and raised in Atlanta, Georgia. He graduated cum laude with a B.A. in Political Science from Furman University in 1998. As a senior at Furman University, he was admitted into the Pi Sigma Alpha National Political Science Honor Society. Following graduation from Furman Univerity, he went on to earn a J.D. from the University of South Carolina School of Law in 2001. During law school, Austin served on the editorial staff as an Articles Editor and as Associate Editor in Chief of the ABA Real Property, Probate and Trust Journal, where he was also published.
In his 15 years of practice, Austin has tried over 100 cases to a jury verdict and has handled thousands of cases of all types, primarily in the field of insurance defense. His areas of practice include insurance defense, including personal injury, premises liability, and construction defects.
Austin has lived in Columbia since 1998, where he currently resides with his wife, two children, and his golden retriever Barley. He enjoys spending his spare time with his family, watching his oldest son play soccer and basketball, and spending time with his family on their boat on Lake Murray.
- Construction Defects
- Insurance Defense
- Personal Injury
- South Carolina, 2001
- U.S. District Court, District of of South Carolina, 2004
- Furman University, Bachelor of Arts, cum laude, - 1998
- University of South Carolina School of Law - Juris Doctor - 2001
Honors and Awards
- ABA Real Property Probate and Trust Journal - Articles Editor and
- Associate Editor in Chief
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- South Carolina Bar
- Richland County Bar Association
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Association
- Continuing Operation Clauses and Going Dark, ABA Real Property
- Probate and Trust Journal, Summer 2001