Crystal graduated from the College of Charleston in 1998 with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and has a Master of Science from the University of Texas at San Antonio in Justice Policy. She graduated cum laude from the Charleston School of Law and is a member of the South Carolina bar.
Prior to attending law school Crystal worked as a Strategic Planner with the Department of Defense and following a distinguished career in the military as a Senior Intelligence Officer, retired and returned to South Carolina to attend law school. While in law school, Crystal was an active member on both the Moot Court and Trial Advocacy boards. She also had the opportunity to extern with the Honorable Richard M. Gergel of the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina and worked for one of the Southeast’s largest law firms.
Following law school, Crystal completed clerkships with the Charleston County Probate Court and in the Fourteenth Judicial Circuit of South Carolina with the Honorable Carmen T. Mullen.
Crystal lives in Summerville with her husband John and daughter Johnna, their two dogs Bosley and Bella, and hermit crab Shelley. When not practicing law, she enjoys spending time with her family and friends and being “crafty.”
- South Carolina
- College of Charleston, Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, 1998
- University of Texas at San Antonio, Master of Science in Justice Policy, 2013
- Charleston School of Law, Juris Doctor, cum laude, 2016
Honors and Awards
- Giving Back Award, 2015
- Forensic Club, 2016
- Presidential Honors Recipient
- Phi Delta Phi Honors Society
- James L. Petigru American Inn of Court
- CALI Award Recipient: Torts and Law and the Art of Narrative
Professional Associations and Memberships
- South Carolina Bar
- Charleston County Bar Association
- South Carolina Women Lawyers Association
- Federal Bar Association
”Efficacy of truancy intervention and prevention programs: Student perceptions and the influence of social bonds and self-control” by Swinford, Crystal H., The University of Texas at San Antonio, 2013, 46 pages; 1538409