Peggy is originally from Ohio and moved to South Carolina to attend the College of Charleston. She graduated in 1993 with a Bachelor of Arts in History. Peggy went on to attend the University of South Carolina School of Law, where she received her Juris Doctor in 1997. After law school, Peggy served as a law clerk for the Honorable E.S. Swearingen. She joined Clawson and Staubes in 2001.
Peggy is a South Carolina Certified Mediator. She mediates workers compensation and personal injury cases on a regular basis. In doing so, Peggy draws upon her many years of experience to assist parties in resolving their conflicts.
Peggy's practice focuses primarily on insurance defense and workers' compensation. She has tried over 100 cases to verdict and has argued cases at the South Carolina Court of Appeals and South Carolina Supreme Court. Peggy handles a wide variety of cases, such as personal injury, motor vehicle liability, wrongful death, and premises liability.
Peggy is Chair of the firm's Workers' Compensation Practice Group. She represents employers and insurance companies in workers' compensation cases. Peggy has handled all types of workers' compensation claims and has represented her clients in every level of court in South Carolina.
When not working, Peggy can often be found at the Isle of Palms at the beach. She is an avid tennis player and is actively involved in local tennis leagues. Peggy also enjoys spending time with her rescue dogs, Mae and Dexter.
- ADR and Mediation
- Motor Vehicle Liability
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Products Liability
- Retail and Hospitality
- Trucking and Transportation
- Workers' Compensation
- Wrongful Death
- South Carolina, 1997
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, 1998
- College of Charleston, Bachelor of Arts, History, cum laude, 1993
- University of South Carolina, Juris Doctor, 1997
Honors and Awards
- Order of the Wig & Robe
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Berkeley County Bar Association
- Charleston County Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar
- South Carolina Women Lawyers Association
- South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Educational Association
- Defense Research Institute, Vice Chair of WITL, Networking Committee
- Defense Research Institute, Vice Chair of Publications, Workers Compensation Committee
- Mount v. Sea Pines, 337 S.C. 355, 523 S.E.2d 464 (Ct. App. 1999)
- McComas v. Ross, 368 S.C. 59, 626 S.E.2d 902 (Ct. App. 2006)
- Skinner v. S.C. DOT, 383 S.C. 520, 681 S.E.2d 871 (2009)
- Hutson v. S.C. State Ports Auth., 399 S.C. 381, 732 S.E.2d 500 (2012)
- South Carolina Certified Mediator, 2013