Tim is a native of Cleveland, Ohio. He moved south for the warm weather and beautiful surroundings of Charleston, South Carolina as a young man. After attending a local public high school, Tim attended the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia, graduating in 1989 with a major in government. As a law student at the University of South Carolina in Columbia, South Carolina, Tim was on the South Carolina Law Review and excelled in various advocacy competitions. In 1992, he received a juris doctorate, cum laude.
Tim frequently handles a wide variety of tort suits. Tim's practice involves work in the areas of abuse of process, defamation, malicious prosecution, wrongful arrest, often in the governmental law context. Tim also acts as an attorney for several local towns and cities, frequently becoming involved in “high-profile” cases that wind up in local newspapers and appellate courts. He also has experience in motor vehicle liability, premises liability and products liability matters.
Tim has an active practice in the areas of appellate law and insurance coverage matters. He has argued cases before the South Carolina Court of Appeals and the South Carolina Supreme Court. Tim also dovotes a significant portion of his practice to insurance coverage and bad faith matters. He has experience representing policy holders and insurers directly with respect to various lines of insurance including automobile, commercial, homeonwer's, liquor and marine.
When not working, Tim enjoys spending time with his wife and three daughters, participating in outdoor activities, reading and cooking. As has been the case for many years, Tim continues to work on his golf game, but the improvement still has yet to be seen. Friends continue to tell him that he is still a “better singer than a golfer,” which is not meant as a compliment to his singing, as his singing remains simply awful.
- ADR and Mediation
- Business Litigation
- Defamation, Libel and Slander
- Insurance Coverage and Bad Faith
- Malicious Prosecution
- Motor Vehicle Liability
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Products Liability
- Wrongful Arrest and False Imprisonment
- Wrongful Death
- South Carolina, 1992
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S.D.C. District of South Carolina
- College of William and Mary, Bachelor of Art, Government, 1989
- University of South Carolina, Juris Doctor, 1992, cum laude
Honors and Awards
- South Carolina Law Review
Professional Associations and Memberships
- South Carolina Bar
- Charleston County Bar Association
- Berkeley County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Wig and Robe
- Seabook v. Moncks Corner Police Department, 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 142730 (D.S.C. 2014)
- Bankers Ins. Co. v. Coker, 2010 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 54956 (D.S.C. 2010)
- Underwriters at Lloyd's v. Empire Fire & Marine Ins. Cos., 2010 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 1744 (D.S.C. Jan. 4, 2010)
- State Farm Fire & Cas. Co. v. Weaver, 585 F. Supp. 2d 722, 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 94976 (D.S.C. 2008)
- Bankers Ins. Co. v. Prezzy, 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 99687 (D.S.C. Oct. 27, 2009)
Historic Charleston Found. v. City of Charleston, 400 S.C. 181; 734 S.E.2d 306 (S.C. 2012)
- Cabiness v. Town of James Island, 393 S.C. 176, 712 S.E.2d 416, 2011 S.C. LEXIS 202 (S.C. 2011)
- Harbit v. City of Charleston, 382 S.C. 383, 675 S.E.2d 776, 2009 S.C. App. LEXIS 569 (S.C. Ct. App. 2009)
- Blind Tiger, LLC v. City of Charleston, 366 S.C. 182, 621 S.E.2d 361, 2005 S.C. App. LEXIS 205 (S.C. Ct. App. 2005)
- Keith v. River Consulting, Inc., 365 S.C. 500, 618 S.E.2d 302 (Ct. App. 2005).
- City of Charleston v. Masi, 362 S.C. 505, 609 S.E.2d 301 (2005).
- Kizer v. Clark, 360 S.C. 86, 600 S.E.2d 529 (2004).
- Seabrook Island Prop. Owners Ass'n v. Marshland Trust, Inc., 358 S.C. 655, 596 S.E.2d 380 (Ct. App. 2004).
- Cothran v. Brown, 357 S.C. 210, 592 S.E.2d 629 (2004).
- United Servs. Auto. Ass'n v. Markosky, 340 S.C. 223, 530 S.E.2d 660 (Ct. App. 2000).
- Staubes v. City of Folly Beach, 339 S.C. 406, 529 S.E.2d 543 (S.C. 2000).
- Auto-Owners Ins. Co., Inc. v. Zurich US, --- F.Supp.2d ---, 2004 WL 3418319 (D.S.C., May 04, 2004).
- City of Charleston v. Gov't Employees Ins. Co., 334 S.C. 67, 512 S.E.2d 504 (1999).
- State Farm Fire & Cas. Co. v. Aytes, 332 S.C. 30, 503 S.E.2d 744 (1998).
- State Farm Mut. Auto. Ins. Co. v. Moorer, 330 S.C. 46, 496 S.E.2d 875 (Ct. App. 1998).
- Sphere Drake Ins. Co. v. Litchfield, 313 S.C. 471, 438 S.E.2d 275 (Ct. App. 1993).
- South Carolina Dep't of Health & Environmental Control v. Commerce and Industry Ins. Co., 372 F.3d 245, 58 ERC 1913 (4th Cir. 2004).
- Blind Tiger, LLC v. City of Charleston, 366 S.C. 182, 621 S.E.2d 361 S.C.App. 2005).
- Cummins Atlantic, Inc. v. Sonny's Camp-N-Travel Mart, Inc., 481 F.Supp.2d 531, (D.S.C. 2007).
- Security Ins. Co. of Hartford v. Campbell Schneider & Assoc., LLC , 481 F.Supp.2d 496 (D.S.C. 2007).
- Nationwide Prop. & Cas. Co. v. Lain, 402 F.Supp.2d 644 (D.S.C. 2005).
- Odom v. Mt. Pleasant Municipal Court, 358 F.App'x 486 (4th Cir. 2009).
- Vanderhorst v. Hoffer, 2010 U.S. Distr. LEXIS 29441 (D.S.C. 2010).
- Duncan v. Cook, 2010 U.S. Distr. LEXIS 13124 (D.S.C. 2010).
- Carter v. Bone, 2010 U.S. Distr. LEXIS 11795 (D.S.C. 2010).
- Bankers Ins. Co. v. Russell, 2009 U.S. Distr. LEXIS 36094 (D.S.C. 2009).
- Lester v. Nationwide Mut. Ins. Co., 586 F.Supp. 2d 559 (D.S.C. 2009).
- State Farm Fire & Cas. Co. v. Weaver, 585 F.Supp. 2d 722 (D.S.C. 2008).
- Zurcher v. Bilton, 666 S.E.2d 224 (S.C. 2008).
- Peagler v. USAA, 628 S.E.2d 475 (S.C. 2005).
- Harbit v. City of Charleston, 675 S.E.2d 776 (S.C. Ct. App. 2009).
- Auto Owners Ins. Co. v. Zurich, 377 F.Supp. 2d 496 (D.S.C. 2004).
- Insurance Law Survey, "Signed Loan Receipt Does Not Bar a First-
- Party Claim," 43 S.C. Law Review 111, 1991; Survey, "Liability Limits of
- Tort Claims Act Upheld," 43 S.C. Law Review 191 (1991).
- Civil Circuit Court Mediator Certification 2016